- Program Year: 4
- Academic Institution: University of Colorado
- Field of Study: Ocean Biogeochemistry
- Academic Advisor: Nicole Lovenduski
Los Alamos National Laboratory (2018)
B.S. Marine Science, University of South Carolina, 2016
- Personal URL: http://www.rileyxbrady.com
Summary of Research
I analyze output from state-of-the-art Earth System Models (ESMs) to understand the impacts of internal climate variability and anthropogenic climate change on regional ocean biogeochemistry. In particular, I focus on carbon dynamics and carbonate chemistry in Eastern Boundary Upwelling Systems. My toolkit generally includes multi-model and single-model climate ensembles, which I use in quantifying uncertainty in long-term projections. On occasion, I assess satellite and in situ products, but am most eager to use supercomputers in my work. My end goal for any project is to use proper data visualization, typography, and communication to make my science accessible to anyone.
4. Brady, RX, NS Lovenduski, SG Yeager, MC Long, and K Lindsay (2020), Skillful multiyear predictions of ocean acidification in the California Current System, Nature Communications. DOI: 10.1038/s41467-020-15722-x.
3. Elsworth, GE, NS Lovenduski, KA McKinnon, KM Krumhardt, and RX Brady (2020), Finding the fingerprint of anthropogenic climate change in marine phytoplankton abundance, Current Climate Change Reports. DOI: 10.1007/s40641-020-00156-w.
2. Brady, R. X., Alexander, M. A., Lovenduski, N. S., & Rykaczewski, R. R. (2017). Emergent anthropogenic trends in California Current upwelling. Geophysical Research Letters, 44(10), 5044-5052.
1. Brady, R. X., Lovenduski, N. S., Alexander, M. A., Jacox, M., & Gruber, N. (2019). On the role of climate modes in modulating the airÃ¢â‚¬â€œsea CO2 fluxes in eastern boundary upwelling systems. Biogeosciences, 16(2), 329-346.
1. Dutta, S., Brady, R. X., Maltrud, M. E., Wolfram Jr, P. J., & Bujack, R. B. (2019). Leveraging Lagrangian Analysis for Discriminating Nutrient Origins. Visualization in Environmental Sciences 2019 (EnvirVis). Porto, Portugal.
2016 DOE Computational Science Graduate Fellow
2016 Algernon Sydney Sullivan Award, University of South Carolina
2016 Outstanding Undergraduate in Marine Science, University of South Carolina
2016 Outstanding Senior Award, University of South Carolina
2015 Barry M. Goldwater Scholar
2013 Ernest F. Hollings Scholar
2012 McNair Scholar, University of South Carolina
2019 Runner-up, Data Visualization and Storytelling Competition, American Geophysical Union.
2016 1st Place in Oceanography: Earth System & Space Science Poster Conference.
2015 Best Student Talk Award: Eastern Pacific Ocean Conference.
2014 Outstanding Student Presentation Award: Ocean Sciences Meeting.
2013 1st Place, Morning Oral STEM Session: South Carolina Discovery Day.