The annual DOE CSGF application process typically begins each fall and concludes the following spring when formal acceptance is required of those selected to comprise the newest class of fellows. Applications for the fellowship's 34th cohort — the 2024-2025 incoming class — are due Wednesday, January 17, 2024.
Eligible candidates have the option to apply for either the DOE CSGF Science & Engineering Track or the DOE CSGF Math/CS Track. Both are composed of 16 individual sections which can be completed in any order and over multiple visits to the secure online portal. A checklist has been incorporated for easy tracking of progress toward completion as well as a mechanism to track the status of the applicant’s reference letter submissions, transcripts, etc.
Supporting Materials Required to Complete Application
- Program of Study (POS): Generate your POS with your graduate advisor's assistance. Senior undergraduates and others matriculating into graduate school: If a graduate advisor at your preferred institution is unavailable or unable to review your POS, we recommend asking your current (or most recent) advisor to help you generate this course plan. If you are chosen for a fellowship, you and your Ph.D. advisor will be asked to sign and return the POS to Krell.
- References: Where prompted within the online system, list three individuals who can speak to your character, qualifications and accomplishments in the context of the DOE CSGF application. Once populated, follow the system prompts to notify each contact who will then receive an automated email that includes letter particulars and provides a token-based link to upload the document and associate it with your application record. Note that all letters should be received by Krell no later than Wednesday, January 24, 2023. It is your responsibility to ensure timely submission and we encourage you to follow up with each contact directly once you have initiated notification via the online system.
- Transcripts: Request an official transcript from each university or college you have attended, including your current fall transcript if applicable. Official transcripts are due to Krell by Wednesday, January 31, 2024 and must be sent directly from the university, either via mail or through an e-delivery system. Transcripts sent by an applicant will not be accepted regardless of delivery method.
- Confirmation: You will receive an email confirming your application has been submitted. If you do not receive an email within 24 hours please contact us. We encourage you to save a copy of the completed application for ongoing reference.
- Green Card: If you are a lawful permanent resident (LPR) of the United States, Krell staff will contact you to request a copy of the front and back of your Green Card via secure submission. Please act promptly upon receipt of this post-submission email.
- Application Status: You can check the status of your application via the online system at any time, even after final submission.
- Application Deadline: It is the applicant's responsibility to final submit by the stated deadline of Wednesday, January 17, 2024. That said, Krell Institute will continue to accept transcripts and reference letters as noted above. Log into your application at any time to check the status of received/outstanding documents.
Application information will be used solely for the purpose of selecting fellows and administering the program. Please note that materials submitted in support of this application will be considered confidential as described in the Krell Institute Fellowship Privacy Statement. It is the applicant's responsibility to read and understand this policy. All applications from students who do not receive funding are destroyed after the selection and award acceptance period.