- Program Years: 2017-2021
- Academic Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Field of Study: Chemical Engineering
- Academic Advisor: James Swan
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (2019)
B.S. Chemical and Biological Engineering, Princeton University, 2016
- Research Area: Chemical Engineering
14. K.S. Silmore, M.S. Strano, J.W. Swan, "Buckling, Crumpling, and Tumbling of Semiflexible Sheets in Simple Shear Flow," Soft Matter (2021).
13. M.A. Lee, S. Wang, X. Jin, N.A. Bakh, F.T. Nguyen, J. Dong, K.S. Silmore, X. Gong, C. Pham, K.K. Jones, S. Muthupalani, G. Bisker, M. Son, M.S. Strano, “Implantable Nanosensors for Human Steroid Hormone Sensing In Vivo Using a Self-Templating Corona Phase Molecular Recognition,” Adv. Healthcare Mater. 9: 2000429 (2020).
12. R. Kumar, J.P. Mahalik, K.S. Silmore, Z. Wojnarowska, A. Erwin, J.F. Ankner, A.P. Sokolov, B.G. Sumpter, V. Bocharova, "Capacitance of thin films containing polymerized ionic liquids," Sci. Adv., 6: eaba7952 (2020).
11. T.T.S Lew, V.B. Koman, K.S. Silmore, J.S. Seo, P. Gordiichuk, S.Y. Kwak, M. Park, M.C.Y. Ang, D.T. Khong, M.A. Lee, M.B. Chan-Park, N.H. Chua, M.S. Strano, "Real-time detection of wound-induced H2O2 signalling waves in plants with optical nanosensors," Nat. Plants, 6: 404-415 (2020).
10. K.S. Silmore, J.W. Swan, "Collective Mode Brownian Dynamics: A Method for Fast Relaxation of Statistical Ensembles," J. Chem. Phys., 152: 094104 (2020).
9. D. Parisi, Y. Ruan, G. Ochbaum, K.S. Silmore, L. Cullari, C. Liu, R. Bitton, O. Regev, J.W. Swan, B. Loppinet, D. Vlassopoulos, "Short and soft: multi-domain organization, tunable dynamics and jamming in suspensions of grafted colloidal cylinders with small aspect ratio," Langmuir, 35: 17103-17113 (2019).
8. D. Kozawa, A.G. Rajan, S.X. Li, T. Ichihara, V.B. Koman, Y. Zeng, M. Kuehne, S.K. Iyemperumal, K.S. Silmore, D. Parviz, P. Liu, A.T. Liu, S. Faucher, Z. Yuan, W. Xu, J.H. Warner, D. Blankschtein, M.S. Strano, " Observation and Spectral Assignment of a Family of Hexagonal Boron Nitride Lattice Defects," arXiv preprint arXiv:1909.11738 (2019).
7. M. Park, D.P. Salem, D. Parviz, X. Gong, K.S. Silmore, T.T.S. Lew, D.T. Khong, M.C. Ang, S. Kwak, M.B. Chan-Park, M. Strano, "Measuring the Accessible Surface Area within the Nanoparticle Corona using Molecular Probe Adsorption," Nano Lett., 19: 7712-7724 (2019).
6. X. Gong, M. Park, D. Parviz, K.S. Silmore, P. Gordiichuk, T.T.S. Lew, M.S. Strano, " Single-Particle Tracking for Understanding Polydisperse Nanoparticle Dispersions," Small, 15: 1901468 (2019).
5. K.S. Silmore, X. Gong, M.S. Strano, J.W. Swan, "High-resolution nanoparticle sizing with Maximum A posteriori Nanoparticle Tracking Analysis (MApNTA)," ACS Nano, 13: 3940-3952 (2019).
4. A.G. Rajan, K.S. Silmore, J. Swett, A.W. Robertson, J.H. Warner, D. Blankschtein, M. Strano, "Addressing the Isomer Cataloging Problem for Nanopores in Two-Dimensional Lattices," Nat. Mater., 18: 129-135 (2019).
3. A.L. Cottrill, G. Zhang, A.T. Liu, A. Bakytbekov, K.S. Silmore, V.B. Koman, A. Shamim, M. Strano, "Persistent Energy Harvesting in the Harsh Desert Environment using a Thermal Resonance Device: Design, Testing, and Analysis," Applied Energy, 235: 1514-1523 (2019).
2. K.S. Silmore*, M.P. Howard*, A.Z. Panagiotopoulos, "Vapour-liquid phase equilibrium and surface tension of fully flexible Lennard-Jones chains," Mol. Phys., 115: 320-327 (2017).
1. K.S. Silmore, C. Gupta, N.R. Washburn, "Tunable Pickering emulsions with polymer-grafted lignin nanoparticles," J. Colloid Interface Sci., 466: 91-100 (2016).
-- Graduate (MIT) --
* AIChE CAST Division Directors' Award for Outstanding Poster, 2020
* ChemE Department Best Spring Student Seminar, 2020
* ChemE Department Outstanding Graduate TA Award, 2020
* MIT Graduate Student Council Graduate Teaching Award, 2020
* Molecular Physics Early Career Researcher Prize, 2018
* NSF Graduate Fellowship (declined), 2017
-- Undergraduate (Princeton University) --
* AICHE Award for Overall Excellence in Chemical Engineering (top Chemical & Biological Engineering student), 2016
* Air Products Outstanding Senior Thesis (top undergraduate thesis in materials), 2016
* Richard K. Toner Thermodynamics Prize (superior scholarship in thermodynamics), 2016
* Outstanding Materials Student Award (top student in materials science program), 2016
* Sigma Xi, 2016
* NSF Graduate Fellowship Honorable Mention, 2016
* Phi Beta Kappa (1 of 29 awarded after junior year), 2015
* Barry M. Goldwater Honorable Mention, 2015
* Tau Beta Pi (top 1/8 of junior engineers), 2014
* PSEG Scholarship for Advancing STEM Majors ($5000 scholarship for environmental stewardship efforts), 2014
* Shapiro Prize for Academic Excellence (top ~40 freshmen and sophomores), 2013, 2014
* National Merit Scholar, 2012