- Program Years: 2004-2008
- Academic Institution: Princeton University
- Field of Study: Demography/Remote Sensing
- Academic Advisor: Burt Singer
Oak Ridge National Laboratory (2005)
Ph.D. Demography, Princeton University, 2009
M.A. Geography (Environmental Remote Sensing and GIS), Boston University, 2005
B.A. American History, Harvard University, 1998
Status: CEO, TellusLabs (startup focused on satellite imagery analytics)
Research Area: Demography / Remote Sensing
Personal URL: https://www.linkedin.com/in/davidpotere
Contact Information: firstname.lastname@example.org
David co-founded BCG's data science practice and built the 'Gamma' team into a global, 40+ person business. In co-founding the satellite imagery-focused startup, TellusLabs, David is combining his love of satellite remote sensing with nearly a decade of practical experience addressing the geo-focused questions of the Fortune 500. Prior to BCG, David served as a Surface Warfare Officer in the US Navy. He received an AB from Harvard College, an MA in satellite remote sensing from Boston University and a PhD in geo-demography from Princeton.
Potere, D., N. Feierabend, E. Bright, A. Strahler, in press. Wal-Mart from Space: A New Source for Land Cover Change Detection, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing.
Potere, D. A. Schneider, 2007. A critical look at representations of urban areas in global maps, GeoJournal 69, 55-80.
Cheriyadat, A., E. Bright, D. Potere, B. Bhaduri, 2007. Mapping of settlements in high resolution satellite imagery using high performance computing, GeoJournal 69, 119-129.
Potere, D., C. Woodcock, A. Schneider, A. Baccini, M. Ozdogon, 2007. Forest Loss Along the Appalachian Trail Corridor, Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing 73, 783-791.
Donner, S., D. Potere, 2007. The inequality of the global threat to coral reefs, BioScience 58, 214-215.
Fang, Y., A. Ganguly, N. Singh, V. Vijayaraj, N. Feierabend, D. Potere, 2006. Online Change Detection: Monitoring land cover from remotely sensed data, IEEE International Workshop on Mining Evolving and Streaming Data Proceedings, IEEE International Conference on Data Mining, Hong Kong, China, 18-22 December 2006.
Potere, D.T., C. Van Dellen, C. Pollack, 2004. Multitemporal Kauth-Thomas change detection of the Appalachian Trail in 17 New England counties, Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium Anchorage, Alaska 2004, Proceedings, 2004 IEEE International, vol. 5, 3402-3404.
(1) Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship, 2004-2008.
(2) Presidential University Graduate Fellow, Boston University, 2003-2004.
(3) Graduated magna cum laude, Harvard University, 1998.
(4) Vespucci Initiative Summer School for the Advancement of Geographical Information Science, Fiesole, Italy, 2004. NSF-IGERT Fellowship.
(5) Participant, International Young Scientists' Global Change Conference, Beijing, China, 2006. Funding provided by the Earth System Science Partnership and START (Global Change System for Analysis, Research, and Training).
(6) Junior Science and Humanities Symposium, Tsukuba (Science) City, Japan, 2006. Guest Speaker and Science Fair Judge, funding by Department of Defense Schools Pacific.
(7) Second Place Poster, Princeton Research Symposium, 2006.
(8) Honorable Mention, DOE CSGF Essay Contest, 2006.
(9) Exhibitor, Princeton Art of Science Competition, 2006.