- Program Years: 2005-2009
- Academic Institution: Northwestern University
- Field of Study: Bio-polymer/Soft Matter Computation
- Academic Advisor: Monica Olvera de la Cruz
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory (2006)
Ph.D. Chemical and Biological Engineering, Northwestern University, 2009
B.S. with honors Engineering Physics in Chemical Designs, University of Kansas, 2004
Status: Research Assistant Professor of Chemistry
Research Area: Mesoscale Phenomena in Disordered Materials
Personal URL: http://bohr.theory.northwestern.edu/~kevkohls/
Contact Information: Department of Chemistry Northwestern University 2145 Sheridan Rd Evanston, IL 60208 kkohlstedt@north
1. K.L. Kohlstedt, A. Snezkho, M. Sapozhnikov, I.S. Aranson, J.S. Olafsen, and E. Ben-Naim, "Velocity distributions in granular gases with tunable long-range interactions", Phys. Rev. Lett. 95, 068001 (2005)
2. M. Sapozhnikov, A. Peleg, B. Meerson, I.S. Aranson, and K.L. Kohlstedt, "Far-from-Equilibrium Ostwald Ripening in electrostatically driven granular powders", Phys. Rev. E 71, 011307 (2005)
3. K.L. Kohlstedt, G. Vernizzi, and M. Olvera de la Cruz. "Patterning Cylindrical Fibers with Long-Range Electrostatic Forces" Proceedings of the MRS Fall Meeting, 1062-NN05-17 (2007).
4. K.L. Kohlstedt, F.J. Solis, G. Vernizzi, and M.O. de la Cruz. "Spontaneous chirality via long-range electrostatic forces" Phys. Rev. Lett. 99, (2007).
5. Nicolas Lux Fawzi, Kevin L Kohlstedt, Yuka Okabe, and Teresa Head-Gordon. "Protofibril Assemblies of the Arctic, Dutch and Flemish Mutants of the Alzheimer's AÎ²1-40 Peptide" Biophys. J. 94, (2007).
6. Nicolas Lux Fawzi, Eng-Hui Yap, Yuka Okabe, Kevin L Kohlstedt, Scott P. Brown, and Teresa Head-Gordon. "Contrasting Disease and Nondisease Protein
Aggregation by Molecular Simulation" Accounts of Chemical Research, 41, (2008) [Cover Article].
7. G. Vernizzi, K.L. Kohlstedt, and M. Olvera de la Cruz. "The electrostatic origin of chiral patterns on nanofibers". Soft Matter, DOI: 10.1039/b814583k [Cover Article].
8. K.L. Kohlstedt, G. Vernizzi, and M. Olvera de la Cruz. "Surface patterning of low-dimensional systems: the chirality of charged fibres". J. Physics: Cond. Mat., (accepted).
2013 Nature Publishing Research Award for Outstanding Presentation
2009 Outstanding Graduate Researcher at International Institute for Nanotechnology
2007 Travel Award to Greece for MNIBS Meeting
2004 University Fellow at Northwestern University
2004 Graduated with honors in Engineering Physics
2004 Mary Dau scholarship to study at the University of Copenhagen
2004 Greater Kansas City Scandinavian Study Award
2004 University of Chicago Research Fellowship at Argonne Laboratories
2003 University of Chicago Research Fellowship at Argonne Laboratories
2003 Tau Beta Pi induction
2003 Sigma Pi Sigma induction
2002 University of Kansas Undergraduate Research Fellowship
1999 Kansas Honors Scholar