- Program Years: 2013-2016
- Academic Institution: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Field of Study: Computer Science and Systems Biology
- Academic Advisor: Vamsi Mootha
A.B. Chemical and Physical Biology, Harvard University, 2012
Research Area: Computer Science and Systems Biology
1. I. H. Jain, L. Zazzeron, R. Goli…F. Zhang, W. Goessling, W. M. Zapol, V. K. Mootha. Hypoxia as a therapy for mitochondrial disease. Science, 352(6281), 54-61 (2016).
2. I. H. Jain, V. Vijayan, E.K. O’Shea. Spatial ordering of chromosomes enhances the fidelity of chromosome partitioning in cyanobacteria. PNAS, 109(34), 13638-13643 (2012).
3. V. Vijayan, I. H. Jain, E.K. O’Shea. A high resolution map of a cyanobacterial transcriptome. Genome Biology, 12:R47 (2011). Highly accessed article.
4. A. D. Hoptak-Solga, S. Nielsen, I. H. Jain, R. Thummel, D. Hyde, and M. K. Iovine. Connexin43 (GJA1) is required in the population of dividing cells during fin regeneration. Developmental Biology, 317, 541-548 (2008).
5. I. H. Jain, C. Stroka, J. Yan, W. Huang, M. K. Iovine. Bone growth in zebrafish fins occurs via multiple pulses of cell proliferation. Developmental Dynamics, 236, 2668-2674 (2007).
6. A. Sharma, H. Jain, J. O. Carnali, I. H. Jain. Inhomogeneous evolution of a glass surface via free, rapid expansion. Applied Physics Letters, 83, 2802-2804 (2003).
7. H. Jain and I. H. Jain. Discovering the Science and Technology of Glass Formation from Candy Making. Proc. Am. Soc. Eng. Edu., Session 3264, 1-7 (2002).
8. H. Jain and I. H. Jain. Learning the Principles of Glass Science and Technology from Candy Making. Standard Experiments in Engineering Materials, Science and Technology, NEW: Update 2000. NASA/CP-2001-211029, 169-182 (2001).
- PEO Scholar Award (1 in nation), $15,000, 2016
- Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship, 2011
- Glamour Magazine’s Top Ten College Women, 2011
- Discover Magazine: Top Five Scientists Under 20, 2009
- Siemens Math, Science and Technology Competition National Winner (1 in nation), $100,000, 2007-2008
- L’Oreal USA Fellowships ‘Women in Science’, Invited Panelist, 2008
- Intel Science Talent Search Finalist, 2008
- National Merit Winner, 2008
- Intel International Sci. & Eng. Fair - First Place Grand Award, 2007
- Da Vinci Science Center Hall of Fame, 2007
- PA Governor’s School for the Sciences, 2007
- 36th International Metallographic Contest – First Prize, George Kehl Award, 2004
- National Educators Workshop - First Prize, Undergrad Research Poster Contest, 2003
Fellowships & Programs:
- National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship, 2013 (declined)
- National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship, 2012 (declined)
- MIT Presidential Fellowship, 2012
- Phi Beta Kappa Honors Society, 2012
- Rhodes Scholarship Finalist, 2011
- John Harvard Scholar (top 5% annual GPA), 2011
- Amgen Scholar Research Fellowship – UC Berkeley, 2010