Travel Booking Guidelines
Arrivals & Departures
- Fellows should plan to arrive at the meeting hotel the afternoon of Sunday, July 17, with time to attend welcome programming beginning at 5:30 p.m.
- Non-fellow attendees are encouraged to arrive on Sunday, July 17, with the first all-attendee event, the Making Connections Reception, set for 7 p.m. The general session starts Monday at 9 a.m..
- Outbound travel for all attendees should be scheduled for the afternoon or evening of Thursday, July 21, depending on one's planned participation in the day's programming.
Air: Reagan National, Dulles International, and Baltimore-Washington International airports serve the Washington, D.C. area. Reagan National is the closest (and preferred) airport to the Crystal Gateway Marriott; when arriving there, ground transportation expenses (see below) will be minimal compared to the other two airports.
Rail: Amtrak travelers will arrive at Union Station (WAS) and may travel four miles via Metro to the Crystal City stop (just below the hotel property). Alternatively, taxi service is also available at Union Station.
Planning & Policy Adherence
All attendees will be responsible for booking their own travel reservations, whether directly with an airline or train company, via an online discounter, or by some other means. Those eligible for post-event reimbursement must carefully review Krell's travel policy in its entirety prior to arranging air or rail transportation. Non-compliance could impact the reimbursed amount.
In particular, please refer to the following sections which address scenarios that necessitate pre-booking contact with Krell staff — and in some cases a flight comparison to accompany your preferred itinerary. Note that a comparison submission should include a round-trip, one-stop itinerary complete with origination, layover and destination airport codes, and fare; see example.
- Pages 2-3, #12 Special Cases A-G: All situations outlined require a comparison fare to be submitted and travel to be approved via email@example.com in advance of booking.
- Page 3, Point D. Travel Before or After the Business Activity: "Travel should occur on or as close as possible to the actual business activity dates. Travel the day prior to and/or day after the business activity will be allowed if necessary. Travel on other days will require an explanation and a comparison fare based on travel on the actual business activity dates." Again, if you are arriving early or departing later than instructed above, you must seek Krell approval prior to booking.
- Page 4, Sections III and IV: Receipts are required for reimbursement of baggage fees and for any reimbursable expense over $30. Also, trip insurance/fees are not reimbursable.
Booking Deadline & Travel Inquiries
As stated in the policy, all reservations qualifying for reimbursement must be made a minimum of 21 days in advance of the event, or by Friday, June 24. Again, specific travel-related questions should be directed to Krell's reimbursement coordinator prior to booking in order to guarantee authorization and/or full reimbursement.
Fellows are asked to forward their flight receipt to Krell's reimbursement coordinator as confirmation of purchase and planned itinerary.
Once in D.C., we suggest the following transportation to the Crystal Gateway Marriott:
From Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport (DCA), 2 miles:
Crystal Gateway Marriott Airport Shuttle: complimentary
(the shuttle runs every 15 minutes [from 5:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.] between the airport and hotel; questions, call 703-920-3230)
Metro to Crystal City Stop: $3.15
(take the Yellow Line toward Fort Totten, or the Blue Line toward Largo Town Center)
- Taxi: approximately $10
- Crystal Gateway Marriott Airport Shuttle: complimentary
From Washington Dulles International Airport (IAD), 27 miles:
- Taxi: approximately $45
- Washington Flyer: approximately $45 (reservation required; 888-927-4359)
From Baltimore-Washington International Airport (BWI), 37 miles:
- Super Shuttle: approximately $51 (reservation required; 800-258-3826)
- Taxi: approximately $90
Rental Car: A rental car is not a necessary expense and will not be reimbursed.