At the request of program sponsors, the Krell Institute contracted with Westat, an employee-owned research corporation based in Rockville, Maryland, to conduct a study of the more than 550 DOE CSGF fellows and alumni as of fall 2021. The resulting report was a follow-up to 2012 and 2017 studies and summarizes data and reflections collected via surveys, phone interviews, and curriculum vitae analysis. Thanks to the responsiveness of current and past fellowship recipients, the study provides a comprehensive look at the satisfaction and impact of those the program supported over its first three decades. In addition, it speaks to the impressive professional pursuits and products of alumni now making their mark in fields related to computational science and engineering.
The Westat report, U.S. Department of Energy Computational Science Graduate Fellowship: 1991-2021, A follow-up study of recipients and programmatic outcomes, is organized as follows:
- Characteristics of DOE CSGF recipients
- Findings on recipients' recruitment and entry into the DOE CSGF program
- Findings on recipients' experiences in the DOE CSGF program
- Findings on recipients' career activities and accomplishments since participating in the DOE CSGF program
- Summary and conclusions
Westat also developed a complementary 11-page brief summarizing key study outcomes. Both documents are accessible via the links below.
Again, many thanks to those who participated in this study.
Previous reports also remain available for reference:
- 2017 Executive Summary & Full Report
- 2012 Full Report