- Program Year: 2
- Academic Institution: Northwestern University
- Field of Study: Inorganic and Materials Chemistry
- Academic Advisor: Omar Farha
Sandia National Laboratories, New Mexico (2021)
B.S. Physical Chemistry, Rowan University, 2017
Summary of Research
Actinide ions and other toxic compounds based on ions such as technetium and caesium are widely present in the United States’ nuclear deterrent stockpile and legacy waste. It is thus vital to dedicate significant research efforts towards both (1) understanding the fundamental chemical properties of actinide species and (2) capturing hazardous radioactive compounds.
An optimal platform to address both of these objectives is a metal-organic framework (MOF). A unique class of scientifically intricate, architecturally striking, and artistically exquisite structures, MOFs integrate the diversity and tunability of organic molecules and the structural integrity of inorganic compounds into crystalline, porous networks. MOFs are composed of inorganic nodes and organic linkers which self-assemble into chemically diverse structures with typically high surface areas. The high stability and well-defined coordination environments inherent to metal-organic frameworks (MOFs) make them useful in both of my targeted objectives.
(1) Incorporating actinide ions into MOFs will assist in better understanding the coordination chemistry and reactivity of actinide ions. However, most MOFs are based on transition metal or lanthanide nodes, and the analogous design rules for actinide MOFs are lacking. Thus, I focus on developing design rules for uranium MOFs by predicting and controlling topologies through synthesis techniques and examining the structure–property relationships of the resulting MOFs.
(2) Exceptionally stable zirconium-based MOFs have shown promising abilities to capture toxic compounds from radioactive waste. However, if these MOFs are unable to remain stable in the presence of high radiation, their ability to capture hazardous compounds will be ineffective. Thus, I expose these MOFs to significant radiation levels and demonstrate their stability levels under these harsh conditions.
Cao, R.; Chen, Z.; Chen, Y.; Idrees, K. B.; Hanna, S. L.; Wang, X.; Goetjen, T. A.; Sun, Q.; Islamoglu, T.; Farha, O. K. "Benign Integration of a Zn-Azolate Metal-Organic Framework onto Textile Fiber for Ammonia Capture," ACS Appl. Mater. Inter. 2020, 12, 47747-47753.
Gilson, S. E.; Fairley, M.; Julien, P.; Oliver, A. G.; Hanna, S. L.; Arntz, G.; Farha, O. K.; LaVerne, J. A.; Burns, P. C. "Unprecedented Radiation Resistant Thorium-Binaphthol Metal-Organic Framework," J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2020, 142, 13299-13304.
Farha, O. K.; Zhang, X.; Knapp J. K.; Hanna, S. L.; Chen, Z.; Li, P.; "Coordination Chemistry in the Structural and Functional Exploration of Actinide-Based Metal-Organic Frameworks," Bulletin of Japan Society of Coordination Chemistry 2020, 75, 3-12.
Son, F. A.; Wasson, M. C.; Islamoglu, T.; Chen, Z.; Gong, X.; Hanna, S. L.; Lyu, J.; Wang, X.; Idrees, K.; Mahle, J. J.; Peterson, G. W.; Farha, O. K. "Uncovering the Role of Metal-Organic Framework Topology on the Capture and Reactivity of Chemical Warfare Agents," Chem. Mater. 2020, 32, 11, 4609-4617.
Hanna, S. L.; Rademacher, D. X.; Hanson, D. J.; Islamoglu, T.; Olszewski, A. K.; Nenoff, T. M.; Farha, O. K. “Structural Features of Zirconium-Based Metal-Organic Frameworks Affecting Radiolytic Stability," Ind. Eng. Chem. Res. 2020, 59. 7520-7526.
Zhang, X.; Chen, Z.; Liu, X.; Hanna, S. L.; Wang, X.; Taheri-Ledari, R.; Maleki, A.; Li, P.; Farha, O. K. "A historical overview of the activation and porosity of metal-organic frameworks," Chem. Soc. Rev. 2020, 49, 7406-7427.
Maldonado, R. R.; Zhang, X.; Hanna, S. L.; Gong, X.; Gianneschi, N. C.; Hupp, J. T.; Farha, O. K. "Squeezing the box: isoreticular contraction of pyrene-based linker in a Zr-based metal-organic framework for Xe/Kr separation," Dalton Trans. 2020, 49, 6553-6556.
Knapp, J. G; Zhang, X.; Elkin, T.; Wolfsburg, L. E.; Hanna, S. L.; Son, F. A.; Scott, B. L.; Farha, O. K. "Single Crystal Structure and Photocatalytic Behavior of Grafted Uranyl on the Zr-Node of a Pyrene-Based Metal-Organic Framework," CrystEngComm 2020, 22, 2097-2102.
Chen, Z; Hanna, S. L.; Redfern, L. R.; Alezi, D.; Islamoglu, T.; Farha, O. K. "Reticular Chemistry in the Rational Synthesis of Functional Zirconium Cluster-Based MOFs," Coordination Chemistry Reviews 2019, 386, 32-49.
Li, P.; Wang, X.; Otake, K.; Lyu, J.; Hanna, S. L.; Islamoglu, T.; Farha, O. K. "Synthetic Control of Thorium Polyoxo-Clusters in Metal-Organic Frameworks toward New Thorium-Based Materials," ACS Applied Nanomaterials 2019, 2, 2260-2265.
Li., P.; Goswami, S.; Otake, K.; Wang, X.; Hanna, S. L.; Farha, O. K. "Stabilization of an Unprecedented Hexanuclear Cluster in a Thorium-Organic Framework," Inorganic Chemistry 2019, 58(6), 3586-3590.
Hanna, S. L.; Xuan, Z.; Otake, K.; Drout, R. J.; Li, P.; Islamoglu, T.; Farha, O. K. "Guest dependent Single-Crystal-to-Single-Crystal Phase Transitions in a 2D Uranyl-Based Metal-Organic Framework," Crystal Growth & Design 2019, 19 (1), 506-512.
Drout, R. J.; Robison, L.; Hanna, S; Farha, O. K., "Can Metal-Organic Framework Composites Contain the Water Contamination Crisis?" ACS Central Science 2018, 4,321-323.
Hanna, S. L.; Huang, J. L.; Swinton, A. J.; Caputo, G. A.; Vaden, T. D.,"Synergistic Effects of Polymyxin and Ionic Liquids on Lipid Vesicle Membrane Stability and Aggregation," Biophysical Chemistry 2017, 227, 1-7.
Miller, M. C.; Hanna, S. L.; DeFrates, K. G.; Fiebig, O. C.; Vaden, T. D."Kinetics and Mass Spectrometric Measurements of Myoglobin Unfolding in Aqueous Ionic Liquid Solutions," International Journal of Biological Macromolecules 2016, 85, 200-207.
1. Guest-dependent single-crystal-to-single crystal phase transitions in a two-dimensional uranyl-based metal-organic framework. Presented at the American Chemical Society Fall 2019 National Meeting on Aug 26, 2019.
2. Developing Design Rules for F-block Metal-Organic Frameworks. Presented at MOF 2018 6th International Conference on December 11, 2018.
3-4. Searching for Design Principles for Actinide-based Metal-Organic Frameworks. Presented at Actinide Center of Excellence Review Meeting in August 2018 and Actinide Center of Excellence Meeting in April 2018.
1. Structural Features of Zirconium-Based Metal-Organic Frameworks Affecting Radiolytic Stability. Presented at the 2020 Stewardship Science Academic Programs Symposium.
2. Guest-dependent single-crystal-to-single crystal phase transitions in a two-dimensional uranyl-based metal-organic framework. Presented at the 2019 Nanoporous Materials and Their Applications Gordon Research Conference.
3. Synergistic Antimicrobial Effects of Aqueous Ionic Liquids and Polymyxin on Lipid Vesicles. Presented at Rowan University STEM Symposium in April 2017.
4-6. Effects of Aqueous Ionic Liquids on the Structures and Unfolding Kinetics of Myoglobin and Trypsin Proteins. Presented at ACS National Conference in August 2016, South Jersey ACS Poster Presentation in April 2016, and Rowan University STEM Symposium in April 2016.
7-10. Characterization of Antibiotics and Lipid Vesicles in Aqueous Ionic Liquid Solutions. Presented at Rowan University Summer Undergraduate Research Program Symposium in July 2016, ACS Mid-Atlantic Regional Meeting in June 2016, South Jersey ACS Poster Presentation in April 2016, and Rowan University STEM Symposium in April 2016.
11. Selection of Signaling Aptamers for Oxidated Proteins. Presented at Princeton University Summer Undergraduate Research Poster Session on August 6, 2015.
12-14. Differences in Protein Unfolding Mechanisms Characterized in Aqueous Ionic Liquid Solutions. Presented at South Jersey ACS Poster Presentation in April 2015, Rowan University STEM Symposium in April 2015, and ACS National Conference in March 2015.
15-16. HZ-166: A Novel a2 and a3 Subunit-containing GABAa Receptor Agonist that has Antihyperalgesic Properties but not Operant Behavioral Side Effects. Presented at Mid-Atlantic Pharmacology Society Meeting on Oct 28, 2014 and Cooper Medical School of Rowan Pre-Medical Urban Leadership Summer Experience Poster Session in July 2014.
Department of Energy Innovations in Nuclear Technology R&D Second Place Award (June 2019)
Department of Energy National Nuclear Security Administration Stewardship Science Graduate Fellowship Awardee (March 2019)
Department of Defense SMART (Science, Mathematics, and Research for Transformation) Scholarship Semifinalist (March 2019)
National Defense Science and Engineering Graduate Fellowship Program Alternate (April 2018)
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program Honorable Mention (April 2018)
Ryan Fellowship from Northwestern University (Sept 2017)
Summa cum laude, Rowan University (May 2017)
Michael Miller Award for Excellence in Chemistry (May 2017)
National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Program Honorable Mention (March 2017)
American Chemical Society Undergraduate Inorganic Chemistry Award (May 2016)
Barry Goldwater Scholarship Honorable Mention (March 2016)
1st Prize recipient in Mid-Atlantic Pharmacology Society Undergraduate Poster Session (Oct 2014)
1st Prize recipient in Cooper Medical School of Rowan University Pre-Medical Urban Leadership Summer Experience Poster Session (July 2014 )
Rowan Scholars Program Scholarship (Fall 2013)
Inducted into American Christian Honor Society (Spring 2013)
Rowan University President's Scholar of Excellence (Fall 2016- Spring 2017)
Rowan University Dean's List (Fall 2016- Spring 2017)