The DOE NNSA LRGF application process begins in November with the opening of the online application. It concludes the following May when those selected must formally accept fellowship offers.
The application’s 13 sections can be completed in any order and over multiple visits to the secure site. A checklist helps applicants track their progress prior to final submission. Prior to and after submission, applicants can track the receipt of transcripts and requested letters of support.
Required Supporting Materials
- Transcripts: Request an official transcript from each university or college you have attended, including your current fall transcript. Documents should be mailed directly to the Krell Institute or sent via the university's electronic transcript delivery service. The latter option is preferred if available.
- Lab Mentor Letter: Your lab mentor is the NNSA facility employee who will direct your activities during the fellowship's residency period and your application must include a letter from this individual. In part, his or her submission will demonstrate understanding of the proposed project, address a plan for training and mentoring, and describe present/past interaction with you and/or your advisor. Follow online system prompts to request this letter from your lab mentor. Once notified, he/she will receive a personalized link from which to upload his/her file for inclusion in your application.
- Advisor Letter: Your graduate advisor plays a critical role in the application process. He/she will be asked to submit a letter of reference detailing your merits specific to the fellowship AND outlining his/her planned involvement during the laboratory residency period. Follow online system prompts to request this letter from your advisor. Once notified, he/she will receive a personalized link from which to upload his/her file for inclusion in your application.
- University Residency Policy: Under separate cover, your advisor must speak to or reference the university's residency policy specific to off-campus experiences of up to six months. Follow online system prompts to request this letter from your advisor. Once notified, he/she will receive a personalized link from which to upload his/her file for addition to your application.
- Additional Reference Letters: Follow online system prompts to identify two additional references and to request a letter of support from each. Once notified, each reference will receive a personalized link from which to upload his/her file for inclusion in your application.
- Confirmation: You will receive an email confirming that your application was submitted. Please contact us if you do not receive an email within 24 hours. Print the completed application and keep a copy for your files.
- Application Status: You can check your application’s status via the online system at any time, even after final submission.
- Application Deadline: Online applications are due March 4, 2020. It is the applicant's responsibility to confirm that Krell has received the application and all supporting materials by the stated deadline. Awardees will be notified by the end of April 2020.
Application information is used solely for the purpose of selecting fellows and administering the program. Please note that materials submitted in support of this application are considered confidential as described in the Krell Institute Fellowship Privacy Statement. It is the applicant's responsibility to read and understand this policy. All applications from unsuccessful candidates are destroyed after the selection and award process.