- Program Year: 2
- Academic Institution: Georgia Institute of Technology
- Field of Study: Materials Science and Engineering
- Academic Advisor: Naresh Thadhani
Los Alamos National Laboratory (2019)
B.S. Chemical and Materials Engineering, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, 2015
Summary of Research
A majority of the natural world is porous. Sands and soils typically exhibit bulk porosity on the order of 37-84% by volume , while more seemingly-solid natural materials such as limestone can exhibit bulk porosity levels up to 38% by volume . Currently, there are no accurate predictive models to describe how these porous material will react under shock wave loading. Consequently, we cannot currently calculate how a majority of natural materials will behave in shock wave loading scenarios, e.g., explosive mining operations and planetary body impacts.
My research addresses this lack of capability by developing computational tools that allow accurate predictive modeling for porous materials. To produce these computational tools, I use a combined experimental and theoretical approach. I perform plate impact experiments on a model brittle powder, cerium(IV) oxide, over a range of initial porous densities to calibrate compaction models. I then use these compaction models to computationally design complex geometry experiments and subsequently execute these experiments at the Los Alamos Neutron Science Center's Proton Radiography facility using the mobile pulsed power driver PHELIX. The radiography data from these experiments reveal what areas of material physics need to be incorporated into the computational models. I then modify the current modeling approaches to improve convergence between the simulated and experimental data. The conclusion of this research will yield a predictive modeling approach that can be applied to a range of porous and granular materials.
 R.B. Peck, W.E. Hanson, T.H. Thornburn, Foundation Engineering, 2nd Edition, New York, USA: John Wiley & Sons (1974).
 A.M. Neville, Properties of Concrete, 5th Edition, London, England: Pearson (2011).
- T. Voorhees, et al, "Compaction Model Validation Under Non-Planar Shock Wave Loading Conditions", AIP Conference Proceedings: Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (2019).
- T. Voorhees, J. Steiner, G. Kennedy, D. Fredenburg, N. Thadhani, "The Effect of Initial Pressed Density on the Dynamic Densification Behavior of Brittle Granular Materials", AIP Conference Proceedings: Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (2019).
- D. Fredenburg, T. Carney, T. Voorhees, T. Vogler, J. Lang, M. Buechler, "Progress Toward Development of a Predictive Dynamic Compaction Model Framework", AIP Conference Proceedings: Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (2019).
- J. Lang, J. Steiner, T. Voorhees, A. Goodbody, B. Bartram, "Elastic Limits of Near-Solid CeO2 to 25 GPa", AIP Conference Proceedings: Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (2019).
- C. Rousculp, M. Freeman, T. Voorhees, D. Fredenburg, et al, "MHD Modeling of Shock Physics Experiments with the PHELIX Portable High Magnetic Field Drive", 16th International Conference on Megagauss Magnetic Field Generation and Related Topics: MEGAGAUSS (2018).
- T. Voorhees, G. Kennedy, D. Fredenburg, N. Thadhani, "Characterization of the Dynamic Consolidation Behavior of Cerium Dioxide Powders as a Function of Green Density", AIP Conference Proceedings: Shock Compression of Condensed Matter (2018).
- K. McCann, T. Voorhees, G. Margoosian, J. Miguel, V. Ravi, "Electrochemical Evaluation of Titanium-Boron Alloys for Potential Biomedical Applications", NACE International CORROSION 2016 Conference & Expo (2016).
- T. Voorhees, O. Villalpando, V. Ravi, "Characterization of the Corrosion Behavior of Advanced Titanium Alloys in Simulated Physiological Environments Using Electrochemical Impedance Spectroscopy", NACE International CORROSION 2015 Conference & Expo (2015).
- T. Voorhees, D.A. Fredenburg, C. Rousculp, J. Griego, D. Oro, "(U) Pre-shot Report: Complex Loading of CeO2 Powder", LANL Report, LA-UR-18-26574 (2018).
- T. Voorhees, "(U) Introduction to the Dynamic Deformation of Materials and Hydrodynamics: Theory and Experimentation", LANL Report, LA-UR-19-XXXXX [Pending] (2019).
- T. Voorhees, D.A. Fredenburg, M. Freeman, C. Rousculp, J. Griego, D. Oro, L. Neukirch, R. Reinovsky, "(U) Complex Loading of CeO2 Powder", LANL Report, LA-UR-19-XXXXX [Pending] (2019).
Conference Presentations and Invited Talks:
- LANL XCP Seminar, Oral, September 2019.
- LANL M-9 Invited Speaker Presentation, Oral, July 2019.
- Krell Institute LRGF & SSGF Program Review, Poster, June 2019.
- American Physical Society Shock Compression of Condensed Matter Conference, Two oral presentations, June 2019.
- Georgia Tech Materials Science and Engineering (GT MSE) Spring Poster Competition, Poster, April 2019.
- Proton Radiography Workshop, Oral, August 2018.
- GT MSE Spring Poster Competition, Poster, April 2018.
- American Physical Society Shock Compression of Condensed Matter Conference, Poster and Oral, July 2017.
- XTD-NTA Division Student Talks at LANL, Oral, July 2017.
- GT MSE Graduate and Undergraduate Poster Competition, Poster, April 2017.
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Pacific Division (AAASPD), Two oral presentations, June 2015.
- Cal Poly Pomona Engineering Project Showcase, Oral, May 2015.
- Cal Poly Pomona Senior Symposium, Oral, May 2015.
- Invited Talk for Association for Iron & Steel Technologies (AIST) at California Steel Industries (CSI), Oral, April 2015.
- NACE International CORROSION Conference & Expo, Poster and Oral, March 2015.
- Southern California Conferences for Undergraduate Research (SCCUR), Oral, November 2014.
- AAASPD Conference, Oral, June 2014.
- Cal Poly Pomona Senior Symposium, Oral, May 2014.
- Invited Talk for AIST at CSI, Oral, April 2014.
- American Society for Metals Los Angeles Section Student Poster Night, Poster, April 2014.
- NACE International CORROSION Conference & Expo, Poster, March 2014.
- Cal Poly Student Research Conference, Oral, March 2014.
- SCCUR, Oral, November 2013.
- Introduction to Hydrodynamics and the Dynamic Deformation of Materials, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2 Lectures and 4 Group Working Sessions
- Microstructural Evolution During Solidification and Mechanical Forming (MSE4022), Georgia Tech, 4 Lectures and 60 Laboratories
- Introduction to Electrochemistry and Corrosion, Cal Poly Pomona, 4 Lectures
- 2019: Georgia Tech MSE Graduate and Undergraduate Spring Poster Competition First Prize
- 2018: The Department of Energy's National Nuclear Security Administration Laboratory Residency Graduate Fellowship, Krell Insitute
- 2018: Lamar H. Franklin Fellowship, Georgia Tech
- 2017: Georgia Tech Materials Science and Engineering Spring Poster Competition Second Prize
- 2015: Cal Poly Pomona Engineering Project Showcase First Prize
- 2015: AAAS PD Conference Honorable Mention in Engineering, Technology and Applied Science
- 2014: AAAS PD Conference Laurence M. Klauber Section-Wide Award
- 2014: AAAS PD Conference First Prize in Engineering, Technology, and Applied Science
- 2014: Boeing CME Scholarship
- 2014: NACE Los Angeles Section Scholarship
- 2014: NACE Academic Foundation-Williams Companies Scholarship
- 2010: AXA Achievement Scholarship
- 2010: Rancho Bernardo Sunrise Rotary Club Scholarship