Now Hiring: Communications Coordinator
The Krell Institute, a non-profit located in Ames, Iowa, is focused on supporting technology-based education and information programs. We collaborate with agencies and institutions to foster the nation’s competitive advantage in science and engineering.
Our people are passionate about the work they do, and we are looking to add a Communications Coordinator to our team. This individual is responsible for managing a broad range of communications activities for the organization and our programs.
In this role you will:
- Collaborate with Krell staff to produce, copy edit and present media on a variety of platforms
- Manage online content and social media; monitor all platforms and engage staff in strategic discussions
- Ensure Krell’s outward-facing media contain consistent look, feel and messages
- Direct graphic designers to produce high-level recruitment posters, advertisements and other materials as directed
- Organize and oversee annual fellowship recruitment mailings – including timeline management, list development and vendor coordination
- Work with fellows and program alumni on announcements of awards and professional achievements
- Engage with fellowship and outreach staff to offer communications support – editing, presentation development, etc. for their projects and initiatives
- Coordinate with Krell’s science media team as necessary – providing editorial support, public affairs coordination, etc.
- Write press releases and brief news items
- Communications support for fellowship meetings, recruitment and fellowship program-related announcements
- Identify and develop potential media opportunities and assists on other projects as directed
What you need to have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, English, or a related field
- Minimum of 3 years in communications, public relations and/or marketing that includes web and print production, social media and project coordination
- Experience in scientific, higher education and/or nonprofit sector preferred
What makes you stand out:
- Excellent writing/editing, verbal and interpersonal communication skills
- Fluency in AP Style and able to write clearly and succinctly
- Ability to shape messaging both creatively and strategically
- Knowledge of current trends and techniques in public relations, journalism, and social media
- Ability to build strong working relationships with team members
- Strong organizational and project management skills – solves problems and meets deadlines
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and work independently
- Proficiency with content management systems, social media platforms and other relevant online tools
- High proficiency with computer software and applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access; experience with Adobe Creative Suite a plus
Krell provides competitive compensation and excellent benefits including health, dental, vision, life, disability, retirement, paid time off (PTO), and paid holidays.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume and cover letter to Ad_CommunicationsCoordinator@krellinst.org.